Height & Weight
We have 3 donkeys here at the Farm Park, Monty, Harry & Joy. Donkeys vary considerably in size, depending on breed and management. The height at the withers ranges from 7.3 to 15.3 hands (31 to 63 inches, 79 to 160 cm), and the weight from 80 to 480 kg (180 to 1,060 lb).
Sleep & Food
Donkeys keep a normal clock and will go to sleep at night with the other farm animals, but they sleep while standing up! Donkeys usually eat barley straw, hay, grass (pasture) and various other things.
Avoid feeding donkeys potatoes, anything from the brassica family, onions, leeks, garlic, stoned fruit and anything which is old, fermented or mouldy as these are toxic to donkeys. Carrots, apples, bananas, pears, turnips and swedes are all safe and usually very popular with donkeys
• Donkeys have an incredible memory - they can recognise areas and other donkeys they were with up to 25 years ago.
• Donkeys can live for over 50 years.
• Donkeys are by nature herd animals. They prefer to stay in groups but a single donkey can actually live happily with group of goats.
• Their large ears also help to keep their body cool in hot and arid desert conditions.
• Donkeys hate rain. Their coat is not waterproof and staying out in rain for a long period actually damages their health.