Height & Weight
The Cheviot is a distinctive white-faced sheep, with wool-free head and legs, pricked ears, black muzzle and black feet. It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage. The Cheviot is a long-wool breed, hornless and of reasonable frame. The average Sheep has an overall height of 46.0" (3’10”) | 117 cm, withers (shoulder) height of 36.0" (3’) | 91 cm, and body length of 50.0" (4’2”) | 127 cm. A typical Sheep weighs between 80-400 lbs | 35-180 kg and has a lifespan of roughly 10-12 years.
Sleep & Food
Mostly sheep eat grass, clover, forbs, and other pasture plants. They especially love forbs. In fact, it is usually their first choice of food in a pasture. Sheep like to sleep for only 4 hours at a time.
• Sheep have a field of vision of around 300 degrees, allowing them to see behind themselves without having to turn their head
• There are over 1 billion sheep in the world.
• China has the largest number of sheep in the world.
• Adult female sheep are known as ewes.
• Adult male sheep are known as rams.
• Castrated adult male sheep are known as wethers.
• A group of sheep is known as a herd, flock or mob.
• Young sheep are called lambs.